The Columbus Ultimate Frisbee community will once again be honoring the memory of Andrew J. Starinchak and J. Michael Dunn by hosting the 15th Annual Andy 24 Hour Charity Disc Event August 16-17, 2013. This event is held in Columbus and attended by hundreds of men and women from all over Ohio and surrounding states.
Our intention is threefold:
- to have fun playing the games we love,
- to honor Andy’s and Michael’s memory by playing the game of Ultimate Frisbee and Disc Golf continuously for 24 hours, and
- To contribute mightily to local charities.
The purpose of both sides of the event is to raise money for local charities in memory of Andrew Starinchak, a fellow Ultimate Frisbee player who was killed on his bike in a hit and run accident on August 1, 1998 in Westerville, Ohio, as well as J. Michael Dunn, who contributed mightily to the Columbus disc golf community. All proceeds for the event benefit local charities including Boys and Girls Clubs and The Compassionate Friends organization which was instrumental in helping Andy’s family after their loss.
What is happening with the Disc Golf Event?
We have built in some flexibility about how the Disc Golf Tournament will be run. We have partnered with the Columbus Flyers to design a fun event that we hope will continue to grow for years to come. The basic format for the Disc Golf Tournament is as follows:
- Prizes for: (1) Best Male/Female rounds, both daytime and night rounds and (2) Most holes played in 24 hours.
- You may play as many rounds as you like between 7pm on Friday (8/16) to 7pm on Saturday (8/17). Feel free to keep your *best* score. There are no set tee-times, so register and play with your friends. Please be respectful of other players on the course, and we would recommend the use of glo-discs during evening hours.
- We may be having a 24-hour putting contest where the prize will be a portable basket.
- There will be Andy 24 stamped discs available for great prices, with glow-in-the-dark discs available.
Date and Time: August 16 — 17, 2013, 7pm to 7pm
Location: Fred Beekman Park, corner of Lane Ave. and Kenny Rd., Columbus OH. Click here for a map.
(Parking is free at the event in Carmack 1. This is the easternmost parking lot, adjacent to the first Disc Golf hole.)
If at any time in your visit you have questions, please contact Paul Devine, our Event Coordinator.